Address registration

Address Registration

If you live abroad and come to the Netherlands to study or work, you will need to register at the local municipality. You will need a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) for your dealings with the Dutch authorities. A BSN is necessary to open a bank account, obtain health insurance (if required), receive a salary (if applicable), apply for benefits (if applicable) and file an income tax report (if applicable). The BSN is a unique personal number issued to everyone (both Dutch and international) registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP).

You will be issued this number when you register in the municipality in which you live. The BRP contains the personal details of everyone who lives in the Netherlands. It is required to register in the BRP within 5 days after arrival from abroad, if:

  • You will spend at least 4 out of the next 6 months in the Netherlands.
  • You are Dutch or you are a national of another member of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland; or
  • You have another nationality and you have a valid residence permit or a proof (sticker or letter) from the Immigration- and Naturalisation Service (IND) you have applied for one; or
  • You have another nationality and have not yet applied for a residence permit. In this case, your registration will be provisional. After registration you will receive a letter of preregistration (BvB) for the IND. After you have applied for a residence permit the IND returns the BvB to us. Only then your registration will be final.

Make an appointment

You can make an appointment via the website of the Municipality of Groningen:  make an appointment now

To the office

All foreigners who need to be registered, including children, must go to the Municipality in person. If you would like to avoid a long waiting time, make an appointment now. Please fill out this registration form (pdf 591 kB), print it and bring it with you.

What you should bring to your appointment

  • The completed registration form.
  • A valid passport or country-identity card.
  • If relevant: a valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter IND).
  • A rental agreement or deed of conveyance or written lodgings agreement (pdf 176 kB) with a copy of the proof of identity of the owner/main occupant of the house.
  • A birth certificate, translated and legalised (if applicable) if you have not already shown this for the BRP (the personal records Database).
  • If relevant: foreign marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnership, divorce certificate, divorce decree or death certificate partner, if you have not already shown this for the BRP, all to be translated and legalised (if applicable).
  • A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten