If taxes are not included in your rent, you may have to pay government taxes for water and waste disposal yourself. In certain situations, you can get a discount for these taxes.
At the beginning of every year, you receive a notification about two taxes: a water tax for water purification and a water delivery system, and garbage tax. You can pay the amount at once or in installments. Please make sure you pay taxes on time to avoid troubles with tax authorities.
In certain situations, you may be eligible for a discount (in Dutch, kwijtschelding). If you get the discount, you are completely exempted from paying the water tax and you only have to pay part of the garbage tax. You can request this discount from Noordelijk Belastingkantoor. Please be aware that this website is only available in Dutch. We advise you to ask a Dutch-speaking person to assist you.
The following factors are taken into account to determine your eligibility for discount:
- The composition of your household. You may not own are a private home which WOZ value is higher than the current outstanding mortgage debt;
- Your age;
- Your income;
- Surcharges and provisional refund from the Belastingdienst (tax authorities);
- Your monthly rent;
- Your premium insurance(s), e.g. health insurance;
- Your bank account and savings and other financial resources. The balance on your bank and savings accounts may not be higher than your monthly income plus one month rent and one month health insurance premium;
- The estimated value of your car or motorcycle. You may not own a car which value exceeds € 2269, unless this car is necessary for performing your business activities or taking care of a disabled person;
- If you have already paid the tax and more than 3 months have passed since your payment, you are not eligible to get discount.
To apply for discount, you have to fill in a form from Noordelijk Belastingkantoor. It will take up to 6 months for them to make a decision whether you are eligible for kwijtschelding. During this period of time, you do not have to pay anything.
You may also be eligible for benefits, such as rent benefit for your accommodation. To determine if you are eligible for the benefit(s), answer the questions for the trial calculation at Belastingdienst. If you want to apply for one or more benefit, ask an advisor for assistance.