More information

Legalisation and Translation of documents
Visit Netherlands and you to see how foreign documents should be legalised. In addition, all documents that are not written in Dutch, English, French or German must be translated by a certified translator. In some countries, you can apply for a multilingual document. Your documents will be checked for authenticity.

Students from outside the EU/EEA can only apply for a residence permit in writing via their educational institution. You can only register with the Municipality after showing your residence permit or a letter from the IND proving you have applied for one.

Knowledge migrants
Knowledge migrants first apply for a residence permit at the IND. After you have received a sticker in your passport you can make an appointment for registration in the BRP.

Copy of your record
Once you have been registered as a resident of the BRP, you will be sent an overview of your personal details within four weeks. We call this the personal list (persoonslijst). Please check the details and contact us if there is an error.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)
You will be sent your Citizen Service Number (BSN) at the same time as your personal list. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.

Websites for further information
Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
• Netherlands and You

Email addresses
International Service Desk, Hanze University of Applied Sciences
Immigration Service Desk, University of Groningen